Twitter/Instagram/Pinterest

Instagram

Sunday 2 September 2012

"This is for everyone"

©The Yarning Darling 2012


Hey everyone...first of all I'm so so sorry for going AWOL for a while, ended up being super busy this summer!  I have been crocheting and knitting but just didn't have the time to update the blog, and so I shall fill you in on why I've been so busy!

So, guess what, I performed in the Olympic Opening Ceremony in July!  I auditioned back in November last year after applying on a whim then got through to the second round.  Unfortunately I wasn't successful and got put on the reserve list.  I honestly thought that was a nice way of saying "no thanks"!  But in May, I got a phonecall from one of the Cast Co-ordinators for my section asking if I wanted to be an understudy for a role.  I took a look at the schedule and decided to go for it, then when I turned up for my first rehearsal I was told I had a permanent role!  I was soooooo excited :D

For those of you who saw it, I was in the 'Thanks, Tim' section, the part that represented the Digital Revolution thanks to Sir Tim Berners-Lee (inventor of the World Wide Web).  The segment consisted of a boy and girl who meet and try and find each other through different clubs, each with a different music era.  I was in the 1960's section and had the most amazing costume.  EVER.

Outside the stadium!
©The Yarning Darling 2012

Me in the Peace Sign!

In action - I'm the one shaking my head in the blue wig :)

Me with some hunky military guys outside the stadium!
©The Yarning Darling 2012
With Kenrick Sandy of Boy Blue Entertainment, choreographer for 'Thanks, Tim'.
©The Yarning Darling 2012



Rehearsals were pretty long, especially coming up to the big day with dress rehearsals having a call time of 2pm and not being on stage until 9.57pm! But it was the most incredible moment of my life, me, being a dentist and occassional knitter/crocheter, getting to perform in front of 80,000 people in the stadium and the whole world!

I also managed to get my 15 minutes of fame too!
CBS News Photoblog
ITV News
ABS-CBN News (video) (A Filipino news network, as I'm half Filipino)
ABS-CBN News (written)

Through the Olympic Opening, I managed to get the role of 'Audience Leader' for the Paralympic Opening and Closing Ceremonies.  I'm not performing but I'm up in the stands with the audience, but I still get to feel the energy and atmosphere.  However, the costumes are nowhere near as gorgeous as my mirror dress!


©The Yarning Darling 2012

Taking part in these is honestly a once in a lifetime thing and I'm so honoured to have been able to take part in them!

1 comment: