Twitter/Instagram/Pinterest

Instagram

Monday 20 February 2012

The Travelling Yarning Darling


Since my boy moved to the City of Angels, I've been back and forth visiting him every few months, and I'm off again at the end of this week :)

The novelty of a long-haul 11 hour flight with unlimited movies wore off extremely quickly, pretty much after my first visit, so on the next visit I decided to take my current crochet project with me. Each time I've always got funny looks and even got known as the 'knitting lady' on one flight (even though I was crocheting!).

Now just like a girl must limit the number of shoes she packs, I also had to do this with my yarning stuff.  With all the regulation of banned items, it took some investigating to find out about crochet hooks. The Heathrow Airport website says knitting needles are fine so I assumed a crochet hook would be okay too. The check in desk had no idea but when I got through security they didn't have a problem so I was good to go.

Anyway, I thought I'd jot down a list of items that I usually take, varying depending on the project (so if it was only crocheting there would be no need to take knitting needles or a DPN). These all also adhere to the hand baggage regulations, including the TSA rules, so you shouldn't have any problems.
  • Yarn
  • Pattern
  • Round-ended scissors (with blades 6" or shorter from the fulcrum)
  • Any length/size knitting needles or crochet hooks
  • Split stitch markers
  • Tape measure
  • Pen
  • Pencil
  • Notepaper
  • Handcream 100ml or less (the cabin pressure and onboard soap can wreak havoc on hands)
  • For knitting, double-pointed needle (if required) and point protectors.
From the picture you can see that I've packed aluminium needles.  I'm usually one for bamboo, but after accidentally stepping on one I found out the hard way how fragile they are.  For travelling, aluminium is best as they can take a little beating and be fine.

If you've never thought of taking your project with you, do it...you can get so much done on a long haul flight and the time passes by so quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment